Find the route for you
The Badl Route – Krapinske Toplice
Krapinske Toplice flourished in 1859, when the famous merchant Jakob Badl bought the existing baths and built new ones (Jacob’s, Mary’s and People’s Baths). In the vicinity of the baths, there were a hotel, a health resort, and a restaurant (Bellevue) also built, as well as parks and the alley formed and planted.
Today, Krapinske Toplice is a thermal health resort that offers relaxation and rest in thermal water, saunas and massage in the Aquae Vivae Water Park and the Villa Spa. Adventure lovers can go for a swim in the water park, fly on a flight simulator in the Heli Centre or ride horses in the ‘Horses for Champion’ Equestrian Club, or go hiking and cycling along trails and routes that have been laid out throughout the municipality of Krapinske Toplice.
The Badl Route is a cycling route that will take you on a tour through the beautiful hilly area of Krapinske Toplice. The route starts on the public parking lot in front of the Aquae Vivae Water Park, near the Chestnut Alley.
Head east and you’ll reach the T-junction KT1 with Zagrebačka Street. Turn right. After 500 m, there is a Heli Centre on your right, and there you can fly on a simulator. Make a reservation for the simulator and continue cycling to point KT2. After passing the family home, make a sharp right turn and continue to the main road. Pay attention to the traffic and continue straight towards the village of Klokovec. Next, you will have to ride uphill until you reach KT3, then make a right at the top of the hill and keep cycling as you pass the vineyards and traditional Zagorje vineyard houses all the way to KT4, where you need to turn right onto the forest road. Keep heading north-west without going onto side roads. The forest will provide you with plenty of shade and a pleasant ride all the way. On KT5, you’ll come across an X-junction of forest roads. Make a sharp right turn downhill. Caution! Having reached the T-junction, KT6, turn right and ride to the beginning of the Chestnut Alley, where you should turn left and ride straight to the starting point and then right (same way as at the start) towards KT7, where you need to make a sharp left turn and begin a steep uphill climb for 1.0 km. When you reach the top KT8, the gravel road section of the route begins. Turn left to visit the chapel of St. Mary Magdalene and the Mausoleum of Jakov Badl. These locations offer beautiful vistas, so be sure to visit them. Continue north after KT8, along a good gravel road, past the vineyards; take in the picturesque landscape. At the KT9 intersection, pay attention to the traffic because it is the main road between Kr. Toplice and Krapina. Continue straight towards Hršak Breg and simply take pleasure in the experience of being on the hill with a great a view of the now distant Krapinske Toplice. As you reach the intersection KT10 (which you must pay attention to on the way back), keep to the right and soon you will come to the “Vuglec Breg” Restaurant and Winery where you can enjoy some refreshments and get cycling information and an offer for the next trip. To go back, follow the same road to KT10, where you have o make a sharp right turn onto the gravel road. Ride along the beautiful vineyards that are laid out in such a way as to enjoy a view of Kr. Toplice. You’ll soon reach the chapel of St. Anthony, KT11. To the right to the west you will find the Petrač Winery. You can continue the route south below the chapel between the houses. Sharp descent and serpentine turns. CAUTION!
Turn right at the T-junction, and in 350 m you will reach the KT12 intersection, where you need to turn right, up a steep, but short incline. Continue down the road all the way to KT13, where you need to make a right turn onto the gravel road and follow the road for the next 400 m. You will then merge onto the local road. Turn left at the next two close intersections, followed by a mild downhill ride to KT14. Make a sharp turn right, towards the rising slope. Keep cycling until you reach the last house. Ride across the meadow for 90 m and continue onto the gravel road, where you need to turn left to the south. At the top of the road you will come across the KT15 intersection, where the paved road begins. Turn left, followed by a right turn at the next intersection. The descent towards Kr. Toplice begins here, but at the KT16 intersection, we take you to the last climb of the route which will prove worthy of your time and effort. Turn left and follow the neat gravel road, with the sounds of birds singing in the forest, until you reach the hunting lodge belonging to Fazan Hunting Club. The view of Krapinske Toplice that awaits at the end is well worth the effort of sticking with the route to the very end. This is followed by a ride downhill to the beginning of the route. KT17 end of the gravel road. Sharp descent; caution needed since the street is narrow. You’ll pass by the Villa Magdalena hotel and arrive in front of the entrance to the Krapinske Toplice Special Hospital, KT18. Continue to the south, at the intersection turn right and at the end of the KT19 parking lot turn left and along the watercourse you’ll come to the starting point of the route.
The route is ideal for MTB/Gravel/trekking bikes, and you can easily and effortlessly ride an e-bike, as well. Stronger physical fitness and advanced cycling skills are needed.
For additional information, contact the Heart of Zagorje Tourist Board.
For a safe and carefree ride, study the map and all the necessary information or hire a local licensed cycling guide. You can find a list of active and licensed guides here.
Route start/endpoint: Krapinske Toplice – parking lot in front of the ‘Aquae Vivae’ Water Park.”
- T-junction. Turn right onto the main road, 900 m to the next intersection.
- Intersection. Turn right into a narrow street. The next intersection is with the main road D507.
Caution! Continue straight.
- Y-junction. At the top of the uphill climb, turn right for Oratje.
- Y-junction. Turn right onto a forest road that you should follow for the next 750 m. A crossing; continue straight and follow the road to KT 5.
- X-junction in the middle of the forest. Make a sharp right turn onto a path leading to paved road.
- T-junction. Turn right and ride to the beginning of the Chestnut Alley (‘Aleja kestena’). Then turn left onto the Alley and continue straight to the starting point, followed by a right turn towards KT 7.
- Intersection, 50 m from KT 1. Turn left up the incline. You’ll be met with a steep uphill climb for 1.0 km.
- T-junction. Start of the gravel road. The Mausoleum of Jakov Badl is on your left. The route continues to the right. Follow the gravel road without turning until you reach KT 9.
– Mausoleum of Jakov Badl
– Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene
- CAUTION! X-junction with the main road. Continue straight on the side street Hršak Breg.
- Y-junction. Keep right to reach Vuglec Breg Restaurant. On the way back, turn sharply right onto the gravel road that leads to the Chapel of St. Anthony.
– Vuglec Breg Restaurant and Winery.
- Chapel of St. Anthony. To the right to the west you will find the Petrač Winery. You can continue the route south below the chapel between the houses.
- CAUTION! Y-junction. Turn right, ride uphill.
- Y-junction. Turn left onto the gravel road. Turn left at the next two close intersections.
- Y-junction. Turn sharp right. Keep cycling until you reach the last house. Ride across the meadow for 90 m and then turn left onto the gravel road.
- Intersection, turn left. Turn right at the next intersection. Start of the downhill section.
- T-junction. Turn left onto the gravel road where the climb to the Hunting Lodge and the lookout begins.
– Hunting lodge of the Fazan Hunting Club – view of Krapinske Toplice
- End of the gravel road. Downhill section, careful. Continue down the street next to Villa Magdalena.
- T-junction. To the left is the entrance to K. Toplice Special Hospital. Turn right to the main intersection and then make another right turn.
- Intersection after the parking lot on the left. Turn left and cycle along the watercourse that leads to the starting point of the route.